Thursday, July 18, 2013

Stratton ME to Monson ME

Last stop! 

Into Monson this morning for the last of everything. Last resupply, last shower, and last real food until the end. Nice little town. Stayed at the Lakeshore House, whose owner Rebecca is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Made me feel right at home. Within 5 minutes of being there I had a cold beer in my hand and food on the way. Spent some time eating, drinking, and relaxing by the lake. Nice to rest one last time before the last 100 miles.

The last few days have been really hard. Very rocky, rooty, boggy, and buggy. Have had some foot issues as well I've been dealing with. Haven't hiked by myself in a good while, and I found the miles very very slow. Very strange to not see another NOBO (north-bounder) for days on end. But slowly and surely I knocked down the miles.


On a more serious note:

I'm not sure if I will have cell reception/Internet from here on out so I wanted to take the opportunity to give some thanks out. Thank you, thank you to everyone who supported, believed, followed, and helped me along the way! I could not have done it without you. Really really really. In particular, I wanted to thank my mom for "letting go" and wishing me the best on this journey. Thank you to my dad for always believing in me, for trail-side support, and for being a great hiking partner. Thank you Melia for incredible baked goods support! And Chris and Kyle for hiking with me through some of the home stretch...hopefully we're still friends after the pain I put them through! Thank you to everyone else who sent me cards, notes, and inspirational messages along the way! And last, but of course not least, I want to thank Deanna, my ever-present rock star trail manager. From new shoes and socks, to food boxes, clothes, batteries, and everything else imaginable, she did it all. Thank you so much, this trip would have been far less easy if not impossible without you!

Onward onward...
109 miles to the base of Katahdin!!!








1 comment:

  1. So proud! Can't wait to see your post from the top of Mt. Katahdin. :)

    ReplyDelete